

Ever seen the movie "Annie"? If so, you will recognize the lyrics to this song.
"Yesterday was plain awful, you can say that again. Yesterday was plain awful, But that's not now, that's then." That pretty much sums up our homeschool day yesterday. I was to the point of tears ready to send him off to school. But thank the Lord that his mercies are new each and every morning. As I prayed earnestly for His wisdom and help concerning parenting, homeschooling, and for wisdom to train my children in the way they should go, He answered! Overall, today has been a delightful day. And don't tell anyone, but we didn't even do any real "school" today. We created Grandma birthday cards this morning as today is her first birthday without our dear Papaw. While the kids were playing in the sandbox this morning, we read History of the World and learned about Zeus and his golden apple. Later this week, we might try to make a golden apple out of paper mache - the kids enjoyed their volcano project so much last year. The older kids had dentist appointments, and they both agreeably went and had their teeth cleaned without hardly a complaint. My oldest son has a bad history at the dentist, so this was a small mile marker. On the way home, we stopped by the grocery to get some things for lunch and flowers for Grandma. Again, my eldest, who is usually not allowed to go to the grocery with me because of his history of misbehaving in stores, was keeping his hands to himself! I was even able to take them in the bank to get a school form notarized without hassle. PTL! After lunch, we read books, worked on puzzles, and the middle 2 & I played Ring around the rosie and London Bridge with lots of giggles. They thought this was great fun. As I write, they are happily playing outside with buckets of soapy water, sponges, and measuring cups. Oh, the simple pleasures of life. :) I think this was just what the "doctor ordered". We needed to unwind and enjoy life. I think I learned today that I need to stop being so uptight about doing academic things all the time with my not even 6 year old. They are all so young, and they WILL learn what they need to learn whether or not I get stressed out about it. I also remind myself that I want them to love to learn, not for it to be a chore.
1 comment:
I feel like I am reading my own story. Be comforted that you by no means are experiencing anything unusual. This many littles is enough to drive any woman to tears. I think a break from the drudgery is just what the Lord orders. I chased the kids around the house yesterday and listened to them squeal and giggle. It was wonderful. I haven't done that in ages. I really enJOYed my kids.
Post a Comment