I am on a mission - a mission to figure out the root cause of my beloved son's problems , other than his sin nature which of course, cannot be changed. After prayer, research, and talking with other Moms, I think that many of his behavioral problems are possibly linked to nutritional deficiencies and/or food allergies. Last night I was given a book with something called a Multiple Food Elimination diet, which is a fast and relatively easy way to detect if there are food sensitivities/allergies in a person. I always thought that allergies always had physical symptoms, but through the reading I have been doing, many times they are behavioral as well. Hyperactivity has been often linked to diet. So today is Day # 1 of a 7 day long experiment. If you are interested in finding out more, follow this link.
Interestingly enough, I think I may have already detected 2 culprits in the first day. One - dairy, and the second - peanut butter. He LOVES any dairy products, and that is supposed to be the first clue that there might be a food sensitivity. I went through our pantry this morning and gathered 3 bags of food/snacks that he cannot eat, and probably should just be tossed anyway. I thought I feed the kids pretty healthy until I took a look at our snacks. Today was his first day in probably his entire life (since he began eating solids) that he has not had any milk, cheese, yogurt, icecream, etc. The only mishap was that he ate peanut butter this morning while I was resting. My dear husband didn't know what to give the kids for a snack, so he gave them peanut butter crackers. And guess what - 20 minutes later, he was out of control for about 20 minutes or so. This afternoon, I went to the Fresh Market to stock up on food & snacks on the "allowed" list. It isn't cheap, mind you, but I wanted to get him some nuts and "allowed" raisans and crackers that they only sell at health food stores. They also have fabulous meat there! And by the way, just for fun our car broke down with my almost 6 year old and baby with me and meat that needed refrigeration. My husband had to come rescue us - thanks! But despite getting stranded, my son was very well behaved through it all. And I have made it a rule to never take him to the grocery store with me for major trips. So this was a milestone to me. He had oatmeal with honey (no milk!) for breakfast, samples at the Fresh Market for lunch - all on the "allowed" list :), hamburger with homemade french fries and salad for dinner and health food store raisans, rice cakes & cucumbers for a snack. Oh, and a banana for a before bedtime snack. I didn't even hear any complaints that there was no milk or juice to drink! I will keep posting about how the diet goes. My biggest dilemna is that this Friday we have the boys' birthdays - 2 & 6! It sounds virtually impossible to make a egg, dairy, sugar, wheat-free cake and frosting that actually tastes like birthday cake! If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Oh - and I need to decorate it with a pirate theme :)
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment