Saturday, May 16, 2009

Our Garden Experiment







I realize that if I have any readers at all left, they rightly think that I have left the blogging world. But I hope to come back especially now that summer is almost here, and our homeschool year is coming to a close. The longer I go without blogging, the harder it is to start again as I am so behind! So, I'll just jump right back in as best I can. First, we decided to start a garden this Spring thanks to our friend Dawn's blog and the square foot gardening idea. It was a lot of fun. We started off with the kids picking out the seeds to plant; they chose radishes, carrots, zucchini, cucumbers and sunflowers. Don't ask me why the later. All but the sunflowers survived the planting. But seeing as it was March 1st when we planted the seeds indoors, and it is now mid May, and we don't have anything to show for it, I am a bit discouraged about our "experiment". Although since I generally am the type that can even kill a peace lily, it is somewhat surprising to me that the plants are still green. So, if there is any green left, there is hope, right? :) I'll keep you posted... I don't have a recent picture yet, but I will post one later. And if anyone has any suggestions on what to add to the garden without having any compost available, let me know. I plan to start a compost bin this summer, but that won't help this garden much.

No comments: