Tonight I went out and bought some new school supplies for our school year. On my calendar for Monday July 28, I have 2 important things. One is our anniversary - God blessed me with a wonderful husband! The second is the first day of our home-school year. Yes, it is only the end of July. But since we haven't done anything since May 9th, and I am itching to get back in a routine, we have set the beginning of our school year as next week. That is one of the beauties of homeschooling - the flexibility. We can do pretty much anything we want and when we want. The only requirement I have by the state of Alabama is that my school-age children attend school 180 days. And we don't even qualify for that, as school-age is defined as 7 years old. So, it is a great freedom to be flexible in when we home-school as well as what we choose to do for home-school curriculum.
As most parents, we have high hopes for our children. And so, admittedly, I am a little nervous about being their teacher. I realize that my ds will only be 6 and that it is only 1st grade. Actually it is a combination of K/1 as we didn't finish all that I had hoped last year. I think my fears are that I will somehow fail myself and fail my children. So, if you are reading this, please pray for our home-school. Pray that I would trust in the Lord to teach my children what He knows they need, and that I would not fear nor try to do it in my own strength. Scott & I, unlike some parents perhaps, don't really care if they have a high-paying job or a big house or go to a prestigious college. Our highest hope is that they will love the Lord their God with all their heart, all their soul, and all their mind, and love their neighbor as themselves. We hope that they will be best friends all their days and that their families will be better off in the future because of what we have taught them. We hope that they have a better education than we did, trained to discern what is true, good, and noble. We hope that they will each discover their passions and God-given gifts in order to fulfill them in their life work. We hope & pray that our God will be their God, that they too will worship the God of our Fathers -- the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
For anyone who loves their child, parenting is an extremely high calling. It can be overwhelming to think of the myriad of responsibilities we have as parents. As we watch them grow, we sense the brevity of the time we have to train them and prepare them for their adult life. Yet, one thing is of utmost importance, and that is of knowing Him. "And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." John 17:3
We will fail them. I see my sin and my failings with my family each and every day. Yet, God is sufficient. I cannot meet their every need. I cannot teach them everything they will ever need to know. And I am reminded each and every day, that I cannot change their hearts. The ugliness of sin that rears itself daily in my children's behavior and interactions can only be changed by the Holy Spirit through the precious blood of Jesus that was shed for those for whom Christ has died. So, I will press on tomorrow with the hope that He is at work and will continue to be at work in me and in my children. He is after all, a God who specializes in what many would call impossible cases. :)
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment