Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Little Things

My life lesson today was a reminder that God cares for the little things, the details of our life. Sometimes we act as if God only cares about the big decisions of my life and that he isn't intimately involved in the everyday details. Well, in case I was in danger of thinking that way, he gently reminded me today that He is in it all. I took the baby and Rachel to Wal-mart this morning for a few things. Of course, the few things turned into a long list of things. Going into the store, I had taken out my wallet and put it in Tommy's diaper bag so that I wouldn't have to take the diaper bag, purse, AND car seat into the store. After paying for my purchases, we unloaded our purchases in the car and got the kids in their seats. I left the buggy beside my parking spot and drove to pay my water bill. When I got there, I looked around and realized that my wallet was missing. I knew immediately that I had left it in the buggy. Instead of putting it back in the diaper bag after paying, I had placed it beside the baby car seat so that I would remember to put it back in my purse. Well, I forgot. Since we were less than mile from home when I discovered it missing, I drove back home, frantically unloaded the groceries and children and ran inside to call my husband since my cell phone was dead. The other 2 boys were with Grandma and crying over something, the baby was ready for his feeding, the groceries needed to be put in the refrigerator, it was lunchtime, and my wallet was at Wal-mart. I didn't know what to do - there was just too much going on at once. My husband was busy, so I called my Mom, who kindly drove to Wal-mart for me to look for the missing wallet. In the meantime, after yelling at my 5 year old son for being unhelpful in not taking the groceries upstairs, dealing with my 1 year old who was ready for a nap, and unsuccessfully trying to stay calm, I called the store and the bank. No one had turned in my wallet and the lady I spoke with said she couldn't find it. The bank told me to go ahead and close the account as I had at least 30 blank checks in my wallet, and I couldn't even tell them which numbers they were. So, I reluctantly did so. After going through the rig-a-morole (sp?) of bank hassles, my husband calls back to check on me and my Mom calls at the same time to say that someone found the wallet and she was on her way to my house. My house?? Some kind soul had found the wallet and was personally delivering it?? This couldn't be true. But it didn't stop there. The woman that found it "just happened" live in my town, "just happened" to live in my neighborhood, and "just happened" to live around the street from me! I could walk to her house easily with the kids, it is so close. I told her she was an angel. Can you believe it? God sent a woman to the store at just the right time behind me, to just the right shopping cart, to find a wallet that belongs to me, a neighbor she has never met, who lives just down the street. How cool is that! He does care even for the sparrow and He knows the hairs on our heads, and He cares about the intimate details of our lives. I got to share this with my 5 year old today - From now on I guess I will pray that He continues to give me more "inconveniences" so that I can share with my children just how much God cares for us. Did I mention that I still get to call and switch over all my automatic withdrawals and direct deposits to a new account :)? I guess this part was to teach me not to do something like that again.

No comments: