Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The holidays are near

I have always enjoyed holidays. I can remember as a child eagerly awaiting the smells and tastes of the Thanksgiving table, putting the star on our Christmas tree, and yes even snooping under the Christmas tree trying to spoil the Christmas surprise. But my excitement over the holidays could never compare to the excitement my 6 year old son displays over them. He LOVES holidays! Not just Christmas or Thanksgiving, not even his own birthday, but his siblings birthdays, his grandparents' birthdays, 4th of July, even his baby brothers 5 month old "birthday". On that particular day, we were at a museum with our homeschool group, and as he sat around the lunch table, he proudly announced to his friends that "Today is my baby brother's birthday!" Tommy was turning 5 months old. These events to him mark cookies and cake, decorations, singing, special meals and of course, presents.

Well, I have suspected for a couple weeks now that the Christmas spirit was brewing in my son. And today I know for sure, that we are in full-fledged holiday spirit. Thanksgiving is one week away, and we have watched Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving each day twice a day now since we bought it (which was Monday). Today we made Indian costumes and macaroni necklaces, not just for ourselves, but for "Snoopy" and Rachel's baby doll. For several years now, we have hunted for a good family Advent devotional. I found at last through Children's Ministry International, and it arrived today. Scott Jr. immediately noticed it, began carrying it around, and wouldn't put it down until I read him the first one. I told him that if I read it now, we would re-read it again on Dec. 1. He didn't seem to mind. I forgot to mention that he has had he & his sister's miniature Christmas trees out for weeks now. I think I even caught him wrapping up a toy to put under this tree. (Last year he wrapped up at least a dozen of his old toys to put under the Christmas tree just in case no one brought him anything on Christmas morning.) Oh, and he has been wearing his bright red snowman sweater for 2 weeks now. So, don't try to tell him that the holidays aren't here yet. Ready or not, here they come!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love it. sounds so much like Scott and the joy he brings.