Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fathers Day







Today is the first Father's Day since Scott's Dad went home. It was a big weekend for his Mom as she just found out that her brother passed away on Friday. Saturday would have been her 51st wedding anniversary, and today is Father's Day. Life is such a gift. When I hold little Tommy and feel his warm body and listen to the rhythm of his heartbeat, I am reminded. When I read the account of a 30-something year old Mom of 3 with incurable cancer, whom we know, I am reminded. When I sit behind a young family in church whose 56 year old Mom suddenly passed away of a heart attack this Spring, I am reminded. When I watch the bluebirds flying so gracefully through our backyard, I am reminded.

Today as I sat inside nursing our 5 week old son, I looked through the window at a picture of family. My Dad, Scott's Mom, my dear husband, the three little ones all sitting around our patio table, eating, talking, laughing and being together. It was so sweet. Generations of family enjoying the good gifts God gives us each day - the gift of time, the gift of people, and of Himself. Life is not always so unharried nor does it always seem so sweet. Just this morning as we hurriedly rushed out the door to church, as I was chastizing my son for wearing his cowboy boots and wrinkled clothes, I knew this was not as Sunday mornings are supposed to be. This afternoon as I failed to listen to my son who was eager to show me part of a movie he liked while I was busy reading a newspaper article, I failed to enjoy His good gifts. When I yell at my children for spilling their milk for the umpteenth time, I fail to understand grace. When I neglect to spend time with the Father - the lifegiver - and try to live out my day on my own strength, I forget that everything I have comes from Him. Yet, there are sweet moments like the one today that remind me of the Lord's goodness and of His mercies & forgiveness. When my 2nd born son scooted up on my lap to look at a book of Caterpillar tractors this afternoon and just wanted to be with Mommy, I treasured it. Or when my 5 year old came to me the other day and asked me why Adam had to die, I paused and remembered this is a teachable moment - a good gift from the Lord. When my 3 year old daughter held our newborn baby in her lap and sweetly looked in his face or when my oldest two children started singing in the car about being each other's best friend, I smiled. He gives us these opportunities to remember Him throughout the day, sometimes when we least expect them, often when they are seemingly "inconvenient". Yet these moments are what makes life worth living. These are the real substance of life. May I slow down to stop and listen to my children, listen to my God, and enjoy the good gifts He gives each day.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Michelle,

I teared up reading this post. Thank you for sharing. Your family is precious!

Rachel